Other names: Thompson's Fort
American fort location
Maps: [map notes]
Author: Terry W. Lipscomb, Title: Names in South Carolina, Title: XXX, Publisher: University of South Carolina, Date published: Winter 1983, Pages: 15, Link: None,
Quotation: Wood's Fort was the same post referred to as Thompson's Fort. It was built (or rebuilt) in the latter part of 1777 by an expedition from Fort Prince under the command of Captain William Wood and Lieutenant Elisha Thompson, and this may explain why the two names were used so interchangeably. It was located between the South and Middle forks of Tyger River near Beaverdam Creek; it also seems to have been near a small tributary of South Tyger that is called Hampton Branch. The 1784 land plat of Elisha Thompson locates Wood's Old Fort very near the present Greenville-Spartanburg county line. The site is about two miles north of where U.S. 29 crosses the boundary line, or in other words, two miles north of Greer.
Submitted by Jack Parker.
Confidence level: 3
Related locations, Hampton Massacre