9/21/1779. Burned by Col. Butler. (EB)
Where: 42.94486 -76.73148 Tichero
Maps: [map notes]
- Elvin Birth, The 1779 Western Campaigns, Raleigh: 2003, privately published, "Markers.pdf", p.96.
One Mile West
Col. Butler Crossed
Cayuga Lake And Destroyed
Cayuga Village Of Tichero"
Location: On Nys 5 And 20, 1 1/2 Mile E. Of Bridge
42.94697, -76.711077, marker location (Seneca County, NY)
The village of Tichero is one of the forgotten casualties of the Sullivan-Clinton Campaign. Tichero, or The Place of Rushes, was a small village located where Turnpike Road ends in Route 90, 2 miles North of the village of Cayuga.
42.94486 -76.73148 Location described. Basis of location
It was the first village to be attacked by Colonel Butler after he and his men crossed the Cayuga outlet now the Cayuga-Seneca Canal. At the time of its destruction on September 21st, 1779 it only consisted of 2 houses.
- Conover, George S., compiler Journals of the Military Expedition of Major General John Sullivan Against the Six Nations Indians in 1779.., Auburn NY: Knapp, Peck & Thomason, 1887, pages suggested by Elvin Birth.
the outlet of the Cayuga Lake, which in
Brenth was a Bout 7o Perches, and more than middle Deep to the Men. Neer the outlet
wf Pestroyed two Indian liousis. the Name of The Place Choharot*
*Cuossao.—Thic was the Tichero or St. Stephen of the Jesuit Relations, said to signify the place
of rushes located at the foot of Cayuga lake on the east side at the exact point where the bridge of the
Middle Turnpike left the east shore. The trail across the march followed the north bank of an ancient
channel of the Seneca river, which at an early day took that course.
- Sep 1779 listing. 9/13/1779 Geneseo