Queen Esther's Town
Fort Sullivan, Teaoga (Tioga), Queen Esther's Town, Sheshequin
8/14/1779 American killed from Chemung buried at Fort Sullivan
9/27/78 Col. Hartley burned Teoga (Tioga)
9/27/78 Col. Hartley burned Queen Esther's Town
9/27/78 Col. Hartley burned Sheshequin
41.948661 -76.515422 Fort Sullivan
41.92834 -76.51729 Teaoga (Tioga)
41.91700 -76.52093 Queen Esther's Town
41.85535 -76.49078 Sheshequin
Maps: [map notes]
- View of Tioga from Journal of Capt. Charles Nukerck, p.220 In Conover, Journals .... Basis for locations for Teaoga and Queen Esther's Town.
- Conover, George S., compiler Journals of the Military Expedition of Major General John Sullivan Against the Six Nations Indians in 1779.., Auburn NY: Knapp, Peck & Thomason, 1887.
...was ordered to Sunbury, in the forks of the Susquehanna, September 21st, 1778 with 200 men rank and file and 17 horse under Captain
Carbury, he set out up the Lycoming, taking two boxes of extra ammunition and twelve days provision.
"In our route we met with great rains and prodigious swamps, mountains, defiles and
rocks impeded our march, we had to open and clear the way as we passed. We waded or swam
the river Lycoming upwards of 20 times." He destroyed Sheshequin, Queen Esther's Town and
Tioga, reaching Sunbury the 5th of October, after making a circuit of near 300 miles in about two
weeks, recapturing "50 head of cattle, 28 canoes, besides many other articles." Killed at least
eleven of the enemy and took fifteen prisoners, and lost four killed and wounded.
This strategic locality between the Chemung and the Susquehanna, shows signs of age-old residence by various Indian groups. Graves of an Andaste chief and his followers were unearthed here in 1883-95.
- Historical Marker: Teaoga & Queen Esther's Town
Teaoga, a watch town: The south door of Iroquois Long House was situated on the point at the meeting of the rivers 200 rods to the northeast. Queen Esther's Town of the Delaware Indians was 100 rods to the east along the Chemung River bank. Both towns were destroyed by Colonel Thomas Hartley and his troops, September 27, 1778. These flats for five miles known as Queen Esther's Flats were grazing grounds for their herds.
- Elvin Birth, The 1779 Western Campaigns, Raleigh: 2003, privately published, "Journals.pdf", p.4.
- Elvin Birth, The 1779 Western Campaigns, Raleigh: 2003, privately published, "Journals.pdf", p.92, 41.948661 -76.515422 Location basis for Fort Sullivan
Here within the confines of Fort Sullivan were buried August 14, 1779
several soldiers killed the previous day in a skirmish at Chemung as
attested by Solomon Talada, soldier in the ranks who returned to live in
Athens the rest of his life.
- Louise Welles Murray, "Aboriginal Sites In and Near 'Teoga' Now Athens, Pennsylvania", American Anthropologist, Vol. 23, Issue 2, 28 October 2009. See map on page 185.
- GNIS record for Sheshequin
Moravian mission established here Feb. 4, 1769; village destroyed by Col. Hartley in 1778. Sheshequin means "at the place of the rattle".
41.85535 -76.49078 Basis for location
- Acme Map showing (N to S) Fort Sullivan, Teaoga, Esther's Town, Sheshequin.
Sep 1778 listing. No PA listing.
Oct 1778 listing. 10/1778 Tioga. Shown as insufficent data.
Aug 1779 listing. 8/13/1779 Chemung.