Sumter's Plantation/Great Savannah.
Other names: Described variously as Nelson's Ferry, Great Savannah and Sumter's Plantation.
What: 25 Aug 1780, Skirmish. Col. Marion vs. Capt. Jonathan Roberts. Freed 150 Continental prisoners.
Where: 33.497531, -80.331918
Maps: [map notes]
- Heather Arnett describes the skirmish at Great Savannah as occurring at Sumter's Plantation, being used by the British to hold Continental prisoners.
- NBBAS:Two, p.295. "...one hundred and fifty Continental prisoners taken at Camden, and were holding them at Sumter's abandoned plantation at Great Savannah. ...found British muskets stacked outside the front door." p.544, at endnote 573, "The site of Great Savannah is currently under Lake Marion."
- William Dobien James, Life of Francis Marion. Project Gutenburg. Search for savannah. Biblio. Marion, in a letter to Horry, describes the action "at the Great Savannah, near Nelson's ferry."
- In Cook's 1773 map (following), it can be seen that "Sumpter" appears immediately above "Farrar's (?) Savannah", apparently an earlier name for Great Savannah."
- Sherman's Calendar.... Search for great savannah. To avoid long downloads, use option to "Save and view this PDF in Reader".
- Cook 1773 map snippet:
1 Nelson's Ferry
2 Sumter's Plantation, immediately above "Farrar's" (Great) Savannah
3 Cantey's (Canty's) Plantation
4 Murry's (Murray's) Ferry
5 Mount Hope Swamp Bridge
6 Lower Bridge
7 Witherspoon's Plantation
8 Kings Tree
- The position for Nelson's Ferry is provided by GNIS and is considered highly accurate.
- From Cook's 1773 map, it can be determined, that from the Nelson's Ferry position:
Using Cook's map, these locations were projected from the Nelson's Ferry site with OziExplorer GPS software. Actual GPS coordinates were available for Cantey's Plantation (differed less than a mile).
- "Sumpter's" Plantation lies 355.9°, 4.614 miles
- Canty Plantation lies 56.8°, 12.769 miles
listing. 8/20/1780 Great Savannah (Nelson's Ferry) . Shown as American victory.
Related sites: Canty's Plantation, Nelson's Ferry
Confidence level: 3