Rugeley's Fort   Rugeley's Mill (hill)  
Rugeley's Mill.

Other names: Clermont, Cleremnot, Rugley's, Grannies Quarter Creek

What:
Col. Armand vs. *Lt.Col. Banastre Tarleton, Rugeley's Mill (hill) skirmish start, 16 Aug 1780
*Lt.Col. William Washington vs. Col. Henry Rugeley, Fort Rugeley, capture 12/4/1780

Skirmishes

Where:
34.399353, -80.637757, Rugeley's Mill (hill) skirmish start, 16 Aug 1780 (JP)
34.408034, -80.643975, Fort Rugeley, capture 12/4/1780 (JP)
34.40336 -80.63799 Rugeley's Mill (mill) (JP/BM)

Maps: [map notes]

Sources:

  • NBBAS:Two, p.274, 375-376.
    Revlist post ref 4 December 1780.

  • Sherman's Calendar.... Search for rugeley. 58 returns, most relevant. To avoid future long downloads, use option to "Save and view this PDF in Reader".

  • Bruce Mayer, "The Battle of Colonel Henry Rugeley's Mills, August 16th 1780", 2005
    The Revolutionary War Battle of Rugeley’s Mills occurred in the early morning hours of August 16th, 1780. At near 7:30 or 8 AM, Col. Banastre Tarleton and his 180 horsemen had pursued soldiers (mostly militia), from the Camden, SC battlefield North to Rugeley’s Mill. There on a hilltop at the south side of grannie’s quarter creek, Patriot Col.. Charles Armand (French), with his small band of cavalry, made one last stand against the british legion. Armand’s men consisted of Hessian deserters, Frenchmen & other foreign volunteers and what militia he could quickly organize, that had fled the Camden battlefield. Col. Armand – being heavily outnumbered, fought an intense and valiant fight, but shortly broke and retreated toward the "wacsaw" Road.

  • Terry Lipscomb, Names in South Carolina:
    XXIII, Winter 1976, 33:
    That same evening, Colonel Washington decide to make an attempt against the Loyalist advance post at Rugeley's Fort, twelve miles north of Camden. This post was located on "Clermont", the plantation of Colonel Henry Rugeley. Th fortification was Rugeley's barn, built of stron. logs with loopholes cut through the walls, a pla1 form erected inside for a second tier of musketry and a strong abatis around it.. It was impregnable to a mere detachment of cavalry, not equipped with even a single piece of artillery, but Colonel Washington was not discouraged. He set up a pine log in the attitude of a cannon and sent in a message demanding immediate surrender Rugeley fell for the trick, and the next morning a patrol sent out of Camden by Lord Rawdon found only the last buming embers of the fort.l2 Rugeley's house and barn were located in the fork of Grannies Quarter and FIat Rock creeks in Kershaw County west of modern state secondary road S-28-58 and north of S-28-40
    12. Rawdon to Cornwallis, December 1-2, 1780, Cornwallis Papers, PRO 30/11/4, 261-266, 271-272; Smallwood to Greene, December 6, 1780, Continental Congress Papers, Item 155 (Nathanael Greene Letters). For a good map of the Rugeley estate, see H. L. Landers, The Battle of Camden (U. S. Government Printing Office, 1929), p. 20.

  • RevWar75 RevWar75  
  • listing 8/16/1780 Saunder's Creek (Parker's Old Field, Gum Swamp, Green Swamp). Shown as a draw.
  • listing 8/16/1780 Camden. British victory. Rugeley's Mill not shown separately.
  • listing 12/4/1780 Rugeley's Mill. American victory.

    Related sites: Camden

    Submitted by: Charles Baxley, Jack Parker

    Confidence level: See above.