Other names: Pyle's Hacking Match, Pyle's Massacre, Haw River
What: Pyles Defeat, 25 February 1781, skirmish, *Lt.Col. Henry Lee vs. Col. John Pyle
2: 36.04334, -79.45095
Maps: [map notes]
- Troxler, George, Pyle's Massacre - February 23, 1781, Burlington NC: Alamance County Historical Association, 1973, 13 pages.
- Troxler, Carole Watterson, Pyle's Defeat: Deception at the Racepath, Burlington NC: Alamance County Historical Association, 2003, 80 pages.
- Pyle's Defeat 1 (CBB, per Dunaway and Bright)
Dunaway and Bright, Pyle’s Defeat, The Most Complete Guide: Case Closed. 2011.
Paperback: 236 pages
Publisher: lulu.com (September 22, 2011)
Product Dimensions: 11 x 8.3 x 0.5 inches
The Battle of Pyle’s Defeat was the bloodiest ten minutes of all Alamance County history. On February 24, 1781, a few hundred yards of Alamance County (then Orange County) were stained red with the blood of a few hundred local citizens. Nearly 100 Tory soldiers were killed, with another 100 taken prisoner, wounded, or unaccounted.For generations historians have pondered what really happened at this killing field without any real depth of rationality. Some have just simply replaced fact with convenient speculation of where the hacking actually took place. Our answer to these contemporaries, and their agendas, is the comprehensive presentation in this work, of the letters, memoirs, and field notes of the men who participated. Besides the insight gained from these writings, we provide the reader the proper locations and mileage by plotting the actual routes. It was not our wish when we started this project to revise history, but to correct the myths that have been perpetuated since 1849.
- Baxley, SCAR, Vol.3 No.3, p.34
- Pyle's Defeat 2 (BD)
By Robert Dunkerly.
- Acme Map, North to South: 1) Marker G-22, 2) Dunaway & Bright, 3) Alamance Foundation & NSSAR, and 4) Bert Dunkerly.
- NBBAS:Three. P.96.
- Sherman's Calendar.... Search for pyle's defeat. 15 returns. To avoid future long downloads, use option to "Save and view this PDF in Reader".
February 1781. Haw River, 25 February 1781.
Related sites: Battle of Alamance 1771, Weitzell's Mill, Clapp's Mill