4 Mar 1781, near Pocotaligo, unk. American cdr. vs. Fenwick's SC Light Dragoons
Sep 1781, unk. American cdr. vs. detachment of South Carolina Royalists
Oct 1781 near Pocotaligo, unk. American cdr. vs. detachment of Duke of Cumberland's Regiment
Where: 32.64135 -80.852914 Pocotaligo
Maps: [map notes]
- Arbitrary location was selected arbitrarily on east side of river and within 1/4 mile of Fort Balfour, per Lipscomb, following.
- Terry Lipscomb, Names in South Carolina, XXV, Winter 1978, p.26-27, "South Carolina Revolutionary Battles, Part Six"
Harden withdrew about ten miles and waited for several days.
On April 13, he again pressed forward to Pocotaligo and took the
enemy by surprise in broad daylight. Colonel Fenwick and
Colonel Lechmere were captured with several British dragoons
near Vanbibber's Tavern, where they had deposited their
wounded from the previous skirmish. This left Colonel Kelsall and
Major Andrew DeVeaux in command of Fort Balfour, the wellfortified
British post at Pocotaligo. When Harden threatened to
take the fort by storm, a mutiny broke out among the garrison of
"Loyalists," half of whom were secretly sympathetic to the
Patriot~., Kelsall had no choice but to surrender the fort, even
though it was doubtful that Harden could carry out his threat. The
Patriots paroled the garrison, burned the fort and leveled the works,
then withdrew when British reinforcements arrived.'
The eighteenth century village of Pocotaligo was located
on the east side of the Pocotaligo River in the extreme northwestern
corner of present Beaufort County; the modern community of
Pocotaligo is across the river in Jasper County. Vanbibber's Tavern
was apparently located in the old village and was owned and
operated in colonial times by Jacob Vanbibber. Several memoirs of
the Revolution contain misspellings of this name, and some of these
have found their way into recently published books. Vanbibber's
was written by Paul Hamilton 4 as "Von Bitter's" and by Tarleton
Brown as "Bambifer's." W.D. James inaccurately transcribed it
from an original Harden letter as "Vanberst"; according to R. W.
Gibbes's' transcription of the same letter, Harden actually wrote it as
"Vanbiber's." Fort Balfour was named for the British commandant
of Charleston, Lieutenant Colonel Nisbet Balfour, and was located
less than a quarter of a mile from Vanbibber's Tavern.
- Edward McCrady, The History of South Carolina in the Revolution, 1780-1783, 1902,
Macmillan & Co., Ltd., p.537
Still more brilliant and
successful was Harden, whom Marion had despatched
across the country to carry the war back to the neighborhood
of Charlestown itself — to its south and west. In a
week he had four times attacked the British successfully
at Four Holes, Barton's Post, Pocotaligo, in Colleton, and
Fort Balfour, in Beaufort, and a few days after had fought
Browne at Wiggins's Hill in what is now Barnwell County.
- RoyalProvincial.com, "War Chronology, 1781"
04 Mar 1781 near Pocotaligo, South Carolina, South Carolina Light Dragoons (Fenwick's)
13 Apr 1781 near Pocotaligo, South Carolina South Carolina Light Dragoons (Fenwick's),
detachment of South Carolina Militia
Sep 1781 Pocotaligo, South Carolina, detachment of South Carolina Royalists
Oct 1781 near Pocotaligo, South Carolina, Detachment of Duke of Cumberland's Regiment
- Mar 1781 listing
3/4/1781 near Pocotaligo. Insufficient data. Per Braisted.
- Apr 1781 listing
4/8/1781 Patterson's Bridge (Saltketcher Bridge, Pocotaligo Road). Draw. Per Peckham, O'Kelley. [Patterson's Bridge]
4/13/1781 near Pocotaligo. Insufficient data. Per Braisted. [Fort Balfour]
- Sep 1781 listing
9/1781 Pocotaligo. Insufficient data. Per Braisted.
- Oct 1781 listing
10/1781 near Pocotaligo. Insufficient data. Per Braisted.
Tullifinny Hill 4 May 1779,
Red Hill 7 Apr 1781,
Patterson's Bridge 8 Apr 1781
Fort Balfour 13 Apr 1781,
Confidence level:: See above.