Gibson's MH |
What: Skirmish, *Maj. Richard Winn vs. Col. Charles Coleman, 10 June 1780
34.453451, -81.272378, Battle site per SC historial highway marker 20-10 Site arbitrarily selected.
34.279959, -81.252540, Gibson's MH, per Boatner. Database entry as church.
34.487210, -81.295640, Battle site per Barefoot
Maps: [map notes]
- Barefoot: SC. p.193. Barefoot tells location of SC marker 20-10, but ignores where the sign said the battle occurred, and describes location near that shown for Mobley's MH on 1820 Mills Fairfield map. He describes Gibson's MH only as "to the south".
- SC Highway Historical Marker Guide. p.92-93. Describes battle site as 1.5 west of point just north of intersection of SC-215 and SR-20-18. Fairfield County Historical Society, 1969. Basis for site location.
- Boatner: Landmarks. p.490 (not in index). "Documentary evidence (Winn's supported by British accounts) indicates that the action took place not at Mobley's Meeting House but at Gibson's Meeting House... on SC-247 just north of the bridge over a branch of Little River".
- Fairfield County highway map: Point north of bridge is arbitrarily marked.
- NBBAS:Vol. Two p.169. Gibson's Meeting House, Moberly's Settlement, SC, Presbyterian Rebellion, 10 June 1780.
- Southern Campaigns of the American Revolution Vol.2 No.7 p.16. It appears that Ken Shelton came to the same conclusion.
- Sherman, "Calendar..." . Search for mobley. 20 returns, most relevant. To avoid long downloads, use option to "Save and view this PDF in Reader".
listing. 5/29/1780 Mobley's Meeting House. American victory.
Submitted by: Charles Baxley
Confidence level: 2/2