Graves of Henry & John Laurens.
Other names: Mepkin
33.11724, -79.95685, Graves of Henry & John Laurens, Mepkin
32.64313, -80.59506, Stock's Cemetery, original grave for John Laurens, approximate site
Maps: [map notes]
- Laurens, Henry (1724-1792)
- Per Congressional Bio, above, died at Mepkin Abbey (see John Laurens),
cremated, and buried at Mepkin Abbey.
- Laurens, John (1754-1782)
brief bio and
portrait, by NPS
- Laurens was approximately 26 years old in 1780, and was approximately 28
years old when he died.
Description of Mepkin Abbey. Laurens plantation had 3 burial sites. That
of John Laurens is oldest. Site is on Mepkin Abbey Road, off of Dr. Evans Rd.
- John Laurens grave, in site #1 (see description).
Turn r. (north). Site is on Mepkin Abbey Rd. off Dr. Evans Rd.
- Lossing, 1850: "He was buried upon the plantation of Mrs. Stock, in whose family he spent the evening previous to his death in cheerful conversation. A small inclosure, without a stone, marks his grave."
- Baxley, SCAR
Search for John Laurens. 14 returns (through 9-2006), all relevant.
Search for Henry Laurens. 51 returns (through 9-2006), all relevant.
- Sherman's Calendar....
Search for john laurens. 12 returns, all are relevant.
Search for henry laurens. 1 return, relevant.
To avoid long downloads, use option to "Save and view this PDF in Reader".
Confidence level: See above