What: Skirmish, unknown date & participants
Where: 34.4215314, -81.4364895
Maps: [map notes]
- Henderson Ferry, a known site, is used as the approximate location of Hogg's Mill.
- Barefoot, Not found.
- NBBAS:Three P. ???
- Hogg Mill, a skirmish site, date unknown, provided by BGM, was described as being near Henderson's Ferry .
- Per "Hogg Family,Compiled by Jean Rooks & Richard Knight": "The Hogg cabin was only fifty miles from the villages of the Cherokee, near the Henderson Ferry on the Old Buncombe Rd, a stage coach road which ran from Asheville to Charleston, now called the Broad River Road. John built a large grist mill known as the Hogg Mill nearby on the Enoree River."
- Walt Reynolds, from unspecified sources, says that some Hogg property was on Kelly Creek.
GNIS record for Kellys Creek in Newberry County. Note Mapping options.
Another source is quoted as saying that Hogg property was partially in Newberry County/District and partially in Fairfield County/District which means that the property was on both sides of the Broad River. This tells us that Hogg owned considerable property in the area.
- Mills 1820 Newberry District map. Note Hogg's P.O. south of area of interest. Also note 2 mill sites immediately east of "Henderson's Toll Bridge".
- James Everett Kibler, Our Fathers' Fields: A Southern Story, Univ of South Carolina Press, 1998, mentions "Henderson Ferry on the Enoree at its confluence
with the Broad".
- Sherman, "Calendar..." . Search for hogg's mill. Not found. To avoid long downloads, use option to "Save and view this PDF in Reader".
RevWar75 listing. Not found.
Related sites: Henderson's Ferry
Submitted by: Walt Reynolds
Confidence level: (Hogg's Mill) 1