What: Fort (no known actions)
Where: 34.668889, -82.850280, Fort Rutledge marker
Maps: [map notes]
When the Calhoun Plantation (in South Carolina), upon which Clemson College is now located, was purchased in 1826, it was called "Clergy Hall". ... An old Revolutionary War fort, known as Fort Rutledge, was upon this estate, crowning a hill overlooking the Seneca River, and when Mr. Calhoun took possession of the place, he changed its name to "Fort Hill". ... One of the most beautiful drives on the Clemson property is the road to Fort Rutledge which is about a mile from the College. ..."
...was a standing insult to the Cherokee.
Confidence level: 3