The Building of Fort Stanwix. Built by the British in 1758, to protect the Oneida Carry area from French attack during the French & Indian War. It was named for British commander, Gen. John Stanwix. About 2,000 to 12,000 men worked on the site; primarily from New York & New England.
The Boundary Line Treaty is Signed. In 1768, Sir William Johnson, Superintendent of Indian Affairs, brought the various leaders of the Six Nations and other eastern Indian nations together to settle land disputes establish a clear line between colonial settlements and Indian land.
The British Abandon the Fort. By this time, the fort's importance had once again diminished, and the regular garrison consisted of only a half pay British officer and a handful of men. By 1774, except for a local trader, the fort was abandoned and in great disrepair.
Americans occupy, repair, & rename old fort as Ft. Schuyler. With the beginning of the Revolution in 1775, American leaders recognized the importance of the Oneida Carry area. In 1776 the old fort was repaired & renamed in honor of Gen. Philip Schuyler. Col. Dayton & the 3rd NJ Regiment garrisoned it.
British Lay Siege to American Fort Schuyler. In August of 1777, the fort successfully withstood a 21-day siege by a mixed force of British, German, Canadian, Loyalist, and Indian forces. This helped make possible the American victory at Saratoga in the fall of 1777.
The 1st NY Regiment & Van Schaick Raid Against the Onondaga.
This expedition left the afternoon of April 18, 1779 and did not return until the 30th, by which time the destruction of the Onondaga villages had been completed. This was part of the larger Clinton-Sullivan Campaign. Not one party member was lost.
Flood & Fire Destroy the Fort.
In the spring of 1781, a combination of heavy spring rains and fire destroyed a good deal of the fort & rendered it indefensible. The Americans then abandoned the fort.