10/5/1778 Col. Hartley returned after Teaoga, Q.Esther's Town, Indian Hill etc.
40.876281 -76.791682 Fort Augusta
Maps: [map notes]
- Fort Augusta
Built by the Pennsylvania colonial militia. Also known as Shamokin Fort, after the Delaware Indian village (1727 - 1756) here that was abandoned after the Penn's Creek Massacre of 1755. A log fort about 200-feet square, with a dry moat and bastions in each corner, armed with 12 guns. An outer stockade with four blockhouses further protected the fort. There were Officers' quarters and barracks. The powder magazine has been restored, and the well still exists. Two old cannon also still remain, on display in the museum. A Provincial trading post (store) for the Indian trade was established here in 1758, closed in 1763. This was the only remaining Provincial fort continually maintained after 1761. It was not attacked during Pontiac's uprising in 1763. Later served as an outpost for early west-bound pioneers, and was a base of operations for Patriot forces during the American Revolution...... The underground powder magazine is still extant.
- Big Runaway, Little Runaway
The Big Runaway was a mass evacuation in June and July 1778 of settlers from the frontier areas of what is now north central Pennsylvania during the American Revolutionary War. A major campaign by Loyalists and Native Americans allied with the British devastated the small communities on the northern and western branches of the Susquehanna River, prompting local militia leaders to order the evacuation. Most of the settlers relocated to Fort Augusta at modern day Sunbury at the confluence of the North and West Branches of the Susquehanna River, while their abandoned houses and farms were all burnt.
Some settlers returned soon after, but the attacks were renewed the following year, leading to a second evacuation known as The Little Runaway. These attacks on the Pennsylvania frontier led to retaliatory scorched earth tactics by the American army against the Native Americans, including Sullivan's Expedition, which destroyed more than 40 Iroquois villages.
- Fort Augusta
- Historical Marker: Fort Augusta
Built in 1756-57 by Cols. Burd and Clapham and the key frontier outpost of the region. Mansion built 1852.
- Elvin Birth, The 1779 Western Campaigns, Raleigh: 2003, privately published, "Journals.pdf", p.5.
- Conover, George S., compiler Journals of the Military Expedition of Major General John Sullivan Against the Six Nations Indians in 1779.., Auburn NY: Knapp, Peck & Thomason, 1887.
"In our route we met with great rains and prodigious swamps, mountains, defiles and
rocks impeded our march, we had to open and clear the way as we passed. We waded or swam
the river Lycoming upwards of 20 times." He destroyed Sheshequin, Queen Esther's Town and
Tioga, reaching Sunbury the 5th of October, after making a circuit of near 300 miles in about two
weeks, recapturing "50 head of cattle, 28 canoes, besides many other articles." Killed at least
eleven of the enemy and took fifteen prisoners, and lost four killed and wounded.
Sep 1778 listing. No PA listing.
Oct 1778 listing. 10/1778 Tioga. Shown as insufficent data.
Teaoga, Queen Esther's Town, Sheshequin