Other names: Dehorisscanadia
9/24-25/1779. Burned by Col. Dearborn
Where: 42.41573, -76.530197 Coreorgonel
Maps: [map notes]
- Elvin Birth, The 1779 Western Campaigns, Raleigh: 2003, privately published, "Journals.pdf", p.166.
42.41573, -76.530197 Basis of location
(where we keep the pipe of peace)
Site of Cayuga Indian village composed of twenty-five long bark houses
in a semi-circle within a stockade. Occupied by several tribes and their
chiefs. Affiliated with the Iroquois or Six Nations.
Destroyed by detachments of General Sullivan's Army under Col.
Dearborn and Col. Butler Sept. 24-25, 1779.
Facing the sun at eventide these Indians prayed," Oh great spirit send
us thy peace of sleep and may the morning dew wash the evil of this day
out of our eyes that we may better serve our children, our neighbors and
our neighbors children."
Their peace pipe exists and is still used at council fires of the Iroquois.
Erected by the State of New York, 1933
- Conover, George S., compiler Journals of the Military Expedition of Major General John Sullivan Against the Six Nations Indians in 1779.., Auburn NY: Knapp, Peck & Thomason, 1887, pages suggested by Elvin Birth.
A march of ten and a half miles, the next day, (Saturday,) over rough hills, and through
tangled swamps, brought them to the site of Dehorisscanadia or Coreorgonel, as named in
one journal, peopled by a remnant, a tribe of the subjugated Catawbas, located some
three miles above the head of the lake, which Colonel Dearborn, on his march down
from the west side, had already left a smoking ruin.
- Sep 1779 listing. 9/13/1779 Geneseo. American defeat.