What: 3 Sep 1777, Battle, BG Wm. Maxwell vs. *MG Cornwallis, Cooch's Bridge
Other names: Iron Hill
39.6412 -75.7347, Cooch's Bridge (JP)
39.635722 -75.7418167 Maxwell's initial position
39.6651123 -75.6599296, Christiana, Maxwell's final position
39.6409446 -75.735211, Cooch's Bridge, locale, GNIS
Maps: [map notes]
- Ralph Nelson, "The Battle of Cooch's Bridge", SAR Magazine, Fall, 2003. RSAR.ORG. No longer online.
1. Initial American attack approximately 1/2 mile SW of Cooch's Bridge,
2., stand taken at Cooch's Bridge, and
3. retreat to Christiana, ENE of Cooch's Bridge (map B).
- Skirmish locations provided by Ralph Nelson.
- Cooch's Bridge picture and marker. A Revolutionary Day Along Historic Us Route 202.
- Sgt. Thomas Sullivan, 49th Rgt., "A British Sergeant on the Battle of Cooch's Bridge", The Magazine of History, with Notes and Queries, 1908, W. Abbatt.
- Boatner, Encyclopedia.., p.283, 370, 688.
Initial position at Cooch's Bridge and final position about 4 miles to the north at White Clay Creek.
- Boatner, Landmarks.., p.62.
- First use of Stars & Stripes debated, Proceedings of the New York State Historical Association, 1911, New York State Historical Association.
- The Philadelphia Campaign, 1777: On the March to Brandywine: — Part 4 of 9, Battle of Cooch's Bridge
- listing. 9/3/1777 Cooch's Bridge. British victory.
Related sites: Brandywine
Submitted by: Jack Parker
Confidence level:See above