Other names: Appletown
9/4/1779. Burned. Sullivan's Expedition
Where: 42.54450 -76.87262 Con-Daw-Haw
Maps: [map notes]
- Elvin Birth, The 1779 Western Campaigns, Raleigh: 2003, privately published, "Journals.pdf", p.128. 42.53818 -76.876172
- Wiki: List of New York State Historic Markers in Schuyler County, New York: 7 "CON-DAW-HAW", On Nys 414 At Valois
Site Of Iroquois Village Consisting Of Cornfields Long House & Cabins Destroyed Sept. 4, 1779 By Gen. Sullivan's Troops
- Con-daw-haw On NYS 414 at Valois, Hector, NY: 42° 32' 40.218", -76° 52' 21.4104" (42.54450 -76.87262) Basis for location.
- Conover, George S., compiler Journals of the Military Expedition of Major General John Sullivan Against the Six Nations Indians in 1779.., Auburn NY: Knapp, Peck & Thomason, 1887, pages suggested by Elvin Birth.
4th.--In the morning it rained, by which means we did not march until half
past ten, when we proceeded to Apple town, which was on fire at our arrival
- Aug 1779 listing. 8/29/1779 Newtown (Elmira), NY. American victory.