What: Skirmish, BG Gist vs. Maj Brereton, 27 August 1782
Where: 32.6535150, -80.6814949, Combahee Ferry
Maps: [map notes]
- Mills Colleton District 1820: Markers at Combahee Ferry, Stocks Plantation and Tar Bluff.
- 1918 topo from Univ. of Alabama, Combahee Ferry:
- SC Hist. Hwy. Marker Guide. p.63. Historical marker 15-2, located on US-17 at Combahee River, approximately 8 miles NW of Tar Bluff. Laurens was buried temporarily at Stock cemetery.
- Barefoot: SC. p.104-105. Historical marker 15-2, located on US-17 at Combahee River, approximately 8 miles NW of Tar Bluff. Laurens was buried in the Stock cemetery with a marker placed in the Laurens cemetery. Follow road 15-161 to river to skirmish site.
- NBBAS:Four. p. 81-85. Combahee River SC, Siege of Charleston.
- Sherman, "Calendar..." . Search for combahee. 9 returns. To avoid long downloads, use option to "Save and view this PDF in Reader".
listing. 8-27-1782. Combahee River (Combahee Ferry, Tar Bluff, Chehaw Neck). Draw.
Related sites: Tar Bluff, Saltketcher Bridge
Submitted by: John Robertson
Confidence level: 5