Grave of Elijah Clarke.
Other names: Elijah Clarke State Park
Where: 33.854411 -82.402808, Elijah Clarke's grave, Elijah Clarke State Park
Maps: [map notes]
- Southern Campaign ~ Rev War. Additional details.
- Online Athens: "Elijah Clarke died a popular hero on Dec. 15, 1799, one day after George Washington died. Hannah lived to be 90. Both were buried at the home plantation ''Woodburn'' in Lincoln County. When this area was covered by Clark's Hill Reservoir [1946-1954], their remains were moved to the entrance of the Elijah Clarke State Park on the banks of Clark's Hill Lake."
- Per this account, Clark (spelling emphasized) was buried at
This sequence is questionable since the Clark Hill reservoir (later renamed Strom Thurmond Lake), was built beginning in 1946.
- Lincolnton GA, 1799
- Woodburn Plantation
- National Cemetery, Marietta GA, 1925
- Clark's orignal grave was located in an area now inundated by Strom Thurmond Lake (formerly Clark's Hill Lake), someplace in Lincoln County GA.
- Baxley, SCAR. Search for elijah clarke. 86 returns, all relevant.
- Sherman, "Calendar..." . Search for elijah clark. Numerous returns. To avoid long downloads, use option to "Save and view this PDF in Reader".
Confidence level: 5