What: Skirmish, 9 Aug 1780, *Col. Taylor vs. Col. Cary
Other names: Carey's Fort
Where: 34.220999 -80.638401 Cary's Fort
Maps: [map notes]
- NBBAS:Two. p. 243-245. "It was located on the west bank of the Wateree River, on McCaa's Hill."
- Sherman, "Calendar..." . Search for cary's fort. 3 returns. To avoid long downloads, use option to "Save and view this PDF in Reader".
- CBB: "Cary's Fort (*) was on the Wateree Ferry Road (to Granby) about 3/4ths mile from the river, out of the flood plane."
- Aerial photo showing search boxes for Cary's Fort: Basis for site selection.
- Mill's 1820 Kershaw map shows a ferry about 2 miles SW of Camden.
listing. 8-15-1780, Carey's Fort (Wateree Ferry). American victory.
Related sites: Wateree Ferry
Submitted by: Charles Baxley
Confidence level: 1