Forked River |
Barnegat, Forked River, Barnegat Beach
12/9/1778 Barnegat Beach. British armed vessel ran aground. American victory. ND:NJ
3/22/1779 Barnegat Beach. HMS Delaware captured scow Molly. American defeat. ND:NJ
3/24/1779 Barnegat Beach. Sloop Success came ashore. American victory. ND:NJ
6/1/1782 Forked River. Loyalist raid. Draw. ND:NJ
6/1/1782 Barnegat. Militia skirmish. Draw. ND:NJ
10/25[26?]/1782 Barnegat Beach. Capt. Andrew Steelman vs. *Capt. John Bacon. Massacre. American defeat. DPR.
39.75318 -74.22292 Barnegat
39.83984 -74.19014 Forked River
39.71762 -74.12716 Barnegat Beach
Maps: [map notes]
- GNIS record for Forked River, Ocean County NJ,
39.83984 -74.19014. Location basis. This location was involved in related skirmishes with Barnegat on 6/1/1782. DCM, Alpha, RW75.
- GNIS record for Barnegat, Ocean County NJ,
39.75318 -74.22292. Location basis. This location was involved in related skirmishes with Forked River on 6/1/1782. DCM, Alpha, RW75.
- GNIS record for Old Barnegat Beach (variant name for Long Beach), Ocean County NJ,
39.73651 -74.11541. Location basis. The location where ships would have run ashore, described generally as "Barnegat Beach" is presumed to be the ocean side of Long Beach opposite Barnegat, Ocean County NJ. This is the area where most actions associated with Barnegat Beach would have occurred.
12/9/1778 DCM, Alpha, RW75
3/22/1779 DCM, Alpha, RW75
3/24/1779 DCM, Alpha, RW75
10/26/1782 DCM, Alpha, RW75
- [ND:NJ] Norman Desmarais, The Guide to the American Revolutionary War in New Jersey. P.209. Ithaca: Busca,Inc., 2011.
- [DPR] Dennis P. Ryan, New Jersey in the American Revolution, 1763-1783: a chronology. P.75. NJ Historical Commission, 1975.
October 25 . Loyalists under Captain John Bacon massacre
Gloucester County Militia under Captain Andrew Steelman. Steel-
man's men had been resting on the beach in Barnegat after unload-
ing the cargo of a British ship that had run aground on Barnegat
- [DCM] David C. Munn, Battles and Skirmishes in New Jersey of the American Revolution, pp.7-8, New Jersey Geological Society, 1976.
Barnegat Beach December 9,1778
Barnegat Beach March 22,1779
Barnegat Beach March 24,1779
Barnegat (Forked River) June 1,1782
Barnegat Beach October 26,1782
- Norman Desmarais, "Chronological List of Battles, Actions and Skirmishes
Barnegat, New Jersey, June 1, 1782
Barnegat Beach, New Jersey, December 9, 1778
Barnegat Beach, New Jersey, March 22, 1779
Barnegat Beach, New Jersey, March 24, 1779
Barnegat Beach, New Jersey, October 26, 1782
Barnegat, off, New Jersey, July 28, 1779
Barnegat, off, New Jersey, March 9, 1780
- [RW75] RevWar75
- Dec 1778 listing 12/9/1778 Barnegat Beach. Draw.
- Mar 1779 listing 3/22/1779 Barnegat Beach. Draw.
- Mar 1779 listing 3/24/1779 Barnegat Beach. Draw.
- June 1782 listing 6/1/1782 Forked River/Barnegat. Draw.
- Oct 1782 listing 10/26/1782 Barnegat Beach. Draw.
- John Alden, Stanton Hammond, Kemble Widner, David Munn, "Battles and Skirmishes of the American Revolution in New Jersey, State of New Jersey, 1974. Note location of Barnegat Beach actions (l.r.h. corner).