Action involving HMS Cherokee, described as draw.
Where: 32.0843752, -81.0406673 Back River
Maps: [map notes]
- GNIS record for Little Back River. Mouth: 32.1307602, -81.1178900. Two such were located close together on contigious waterway.
- GNIS record for Back River. Mouth: 32.0843752, -81.0406673. Partially in Jasper County SC. Location basis.
- GNIS record for Tybee Creek. Variant name: Back River. Mouth: 31.9860491, -80.8545544
- GNIS record for Moon River. Variant name: Back River. Mouth: 31.9252156, -81.0720532. Renamed Moon River in 1962 in honor of Johnny Mercer (author of song "Moon River") who owned home nearby.
- Acme map showing (N to S, same order as above): Little Back River, Back River, Typee Creek, Moon River
- NBBAS:One P.87-90:
Hutchinson's Island, Georgia. 2-4 March 1776.
Lieutenant John Fergusson
His Majesty's Sloop of War Cherokee 50 [crew]
- Norman Desmarais, "Chronological List of Battles, Actions, and Skirmishes
March 3  Savannah Harbor, Georgia
March 4  Yamacraw Bluff, Georgia
March 7  Hutchinson's Island, Georgia
- "Revolutionary War Raids & Skirmishes in 1776"
March 2-4, 1776 at Hutchinson’s Island, Georgia [listing, article]
No mention of the Cherokee. Conclusion: American Victory.
- Since O'Kelley lists the Cherokee among the British forces involved in Hutchinson's Island,this action would appear to have been related to Hutchinson's Island. [JR].
- Mar 1776 listing 3/2 - 4/1776 Battle of the Rice Boats, Hutchinson's Island, Savannah. American victory.
- Mar 1776 listing 3/2/1776 Back River; HM Armed Vessel Cherokee. Draw.
Battle of the Rice Boats,