Adam Goudelock house
After Cowpens, Tarleton forced A. Goudelock to guide him to Hamilton's Ford, 17 Jan 1781
Where: 34.911, -81.592223 Adam Goudelock house
Maps: [map notes]
- Deedmapper plot of Adam Goudelock land plat. It is keyed to Sarah Cook property which had stream identified as flowing into the Pacolet River.
- Custom Google map showing the various locations related to Tarleton's route from Cowpens via Hamilton's Ford to Hillhouse Plantation. Grindal Shoals is included only for reference. The several Goudelock sites result from the problem in determining the exact location from which Goudelock was abducted.
- Burke Davis, The Cowpens-Guilford Courthouse Campaign, 2002, University of Pennsylvania Press, p.39.
- Lawrence Edward Babits, A Devil of a Whipping: The Battle of Cowpens, 1998, UNC Press, p.134-135.
- North Carolina Office of Archives and History,
The North Carolina Historical Review, 1924, North Carolina Historical Commission, p.364.
- Daniel Murphy, "The Cavalry at Cowpens: Thinking Inside the Box", Southern Campaigns of the American Revolution, C.B.
Baxley, ed., Vol.3. No.2, p.23ff.
Tarleton and his cavalry then rode several miles and impressed a local
dragoons later showed up in pursuit and Goudelock’s wife purposely routed them away from Tarleton’s course out of fear for her husband’s life. This misdirection cost the American dragoons their quarry and effectively ended the cavalry actions for the Battle of Cowpens.
- RevWar75 Not found (not an action)
Confidence level:: See above